Hello, thanks for stopping by! I'm Elaina, a calligrapher based in The Flower City of Rochester, New York. I love enhancing thoughtful words with beautiful, handwritten script. My love of calligraphy started after I learned printmaking in a book design class in grad school. I realized I was very happy when working with my hands and decided to pursue an art that I could create away from the computer. When gifted with two vintage Ornamental Penmanship books, I began my self-taught calligraphy journey and fell in love with the tactile experience of writing with nib and ink.
I now consider myself a lifelong student of calligraphy and commit to regular study and practice. When I can, I also seek instruction from experienced calligraphers both online and in person. I am a member of the International Association of Master Penmen, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting (IAMPETH) as well as the Rochester Calligraphy and Penmanship Society.
I look forward to growing as a calligrapher through the above means as well as through work with clients. Calligraphy can add a unique, thoughtful touch to weddings, events, celebrations, letters, and gifts. If you have an idea for a project that you’d like to work with me on, please contact me; I'd love to discuss it with you.
- Spencerian Saga with Master Penman Harvest Crittenden, October 2016
- The Engrossing Saga with Master Penman Harvest Crittenden, October 2017
- Calligraphic Flourishing with Anne Elser, Oct/Nov/Dec 2017
- Contributed calligraphy quote for Roc Girl Gang interview, August 2016
- Taught an Intro to Pointed Pen Calligraphy class July, 2017 as part of Rochester Brainery's 'What a Crafty Weekend - Lettering Edition'.
- Interview with the Rochester Brainery: 3 Local Artists Giving Text Its Own Personality
- Collaborated with Studio Ways on creating a font based on my calligraphy script and handwriting. Check out the font page for more info!